Science in the Media
There is nothing like reading a good book or watching a great movie for a little escapism and entertainment. With all of the television channels out there and access to the internet, you can watch just about anything you want at any time. In Unit 2, you talked about the science involved with technology, but in this Assignment, you are going to turn the tables and delve into how the media portrays science.
How does a pop culture portrayal of science and scientists impact the average person’s view of what science is and how research is conducted? Can what is presented by the media affect how the general populace views a particular research field? What might the long-term impacts of such a depiction be? These are just a few questions that you will reflect upon in this Assignment.
Your paper should address the following questions:
- When you hear the word “scientist” what do you envision? Which famous people or characters from the media come into your mind? What characteristics do they have in common? Discuss at least three characteristics of your vision of a scientist.
- Has your image of what a scientist does and how they look changed over time? If so, how has this changed and what influenced you?
- Are fictional scientists usually the heroes, villains, or a combination of the two? Provide at least two detailed examples to support your position.
- How is science portrayed in fictional media (television shows, movies, music, books, etc.)? Is it seen as a positive, negative, or neutral force in the world? Give specific examples supporting your position.
- Do you think the portrayal of scientists in the various forms of media influences how society views people in this profession? Why, or why not?
- Can the portrayal of science in media influence how certain research and technology is viewed, and accepted, by the general public (e.g., cloning)?
Your Final Project should be written in an essay format, with an introduction and conclusion. The paper will require you to include details from research including the course materials and sources you locate on your own. Use APA format to cite your sources of information, both within parenthetical citations and also within a reference page at the end of the project.
Basic Writing Expectations:
- A minimum of 1500 words, not counting the title or reference pages
- At least 3 academic resources utilized
- Include a title page, double space, font size 10 or 12
- Include a highly developed viewpoint/thesis, purpose, and exceptional content
- Demonstrate superior organization: use logic
- Free of grammar and spelling errors
- No evidence of plagiarism. Note: no more than 10% of your paper should be direct quotes
- Use the APA style for all in-text citations, references, and body of paper
A special feature is available to help you with reviewing your Unit 9 Final Project for plagiarism. When you submit your Assignment to the Unit 9 Final Project Dropbox, your Assignment will automatically be analyzed by the plagiarism detection tool, Turnitin. Soon after you submit your Assignment, you will be able to view the Turnitin Originality Report. Originality Reports provide a summary of matching or highly similar text f
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]